1767 - 2017

Our 250th Church Anniversary

 

It was great to have so many visitors to our 250th Church Anniversary! Church family and friends old and new, and people interested in the church's history, all added to the sense of God's goodness towards us on what was a beautiful summer's day.

It was an afternoon to enjoy each other's company, delicious hot dogs and cakes and lots of conversation. There were games and we even had a set of stocks that a few brave people placed their head and arms in to be the targets of wet sponges thrown by delighted children! An exhibition and timeline showed that the original Baptist Meeting House was situated in the Baptist Cemetery in Meeting Lane. In 1861 a new chapel was built on the High Street which was destroyed in a storm in 1928 and later the same year the present chapel was built. There was also display which included the old minute books from the 1820s onwards.

We held a service of celebration and thanksgiving for Baptist life in the village for 250 years remembering Thomas Ladson who as a young man formed the church in Needingworth on the 13th March 1767. It was a very special service as we reflected on our Baptist heritage here in the village and it was thrilling to think that these things aren't consigned to the history books but they are alive and kicking today!